Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Shrimp Tacos and Spicy Corn

I came up with these during the early days of my relationship with Peter. I was off for the summer and he invited me over to his place for an afternoon by the pool and then an early dinner. I was trying to impress so I offered to make dinner. As soon as I got off the phone I panicked because I had not been to the grocery store and quite honestly, had no idea what to make anyway. These were the days when I thought heating black beans out of a can was cooking. I managed to find all of the ingredients, minus the shrimp so I made a quick trip to the store, and just kind of winged it. I love that I can prepare the spread overnight and then the next day I can make dinner in less than twenty minutes. Peter and I really enjoy these tacos and they have been in the rotation ever since that lovely summer afternoon.

We have always eaten the tacos with a side of black beans with cilantro and lime. Tonight I wanted to try something new. I had some leftover corn from Thanksgiving so I went searching online for a yummy corn sidedish. I found inspiration here and there. I made a few adjustments and I think it turned out really well!

I think I know my husband pretty well. I know what he likes, what he dislikes, what to NEVER say to him, etc... One thing I didn't know was that he hates corn. Whaaaaat??? I had no idea. He made a funny face when I put the corn on his plate but I knew he would be nice and at least try it. He ate the tacos first and then slowly reached for the fork and put the teeniest bit of corn in his mouth. I was waiting for a "sorry babe, I just don't like corn" but he took another bite, then a bigger one and then a whole forkful. That corn was gone in under a minute. I felt victorious! I asked him if there was anything else he thought he hated that I could possibly cook for him and hopefully change his mind. He "hates" eggplant so watch for an eggplant post in the near future. I welcome the challenge.

Shrimp Tacos
1 pound EZ peel shrimp, cleaned, deveined
1/2 medium white onion, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, cleaned and chopped
1 clove garlic
1 small lime
4 whole wheat tortillas
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Combine the onion, cilantro, garlic, juice from one half of the lime and the extra virgin olive oil in a mini food processor. Pulse until a pesto like substance forms. Add more extra virgin olive oil if necessary. In a large storage container completely coat the shrimp in the spread. Store in the refrigerator for at least two hours. You can also let them sit overnight.

Divide the remaining tablespoon of butter into fourths. On medium heat drop one on the fourths of butter in the pan and coat both sides of the tortilla in butter. Then leave the tortilla in the pan until in begins to puff, turn over and repeat on the other side. Repeat for each tortilla. Keep warm in a basket or tortilla warmer.



In a large saute pan heat the remaining tablespoon of butter on medium heat. Add the shrimp and cilantro spread to the pan. Cook until the shrimp are pink. This should only take a few minutes. Stuff each tortilla with 4-6 shrimp, depending on size of the shrimp and top with any remaining spread. Serve warm.

Spicy Corn
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup white onion, diced
1 teaspoon hot sauce (Peter's favorite)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon olive oil

Combine all of the ingredients, except the oil. Add the oil to a small saucepan over medium heat. Saute the corn mixture in the oil for 5-6 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment