Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

I LOVE tomato soup. My favorite store bought soup is the Pacific brand. I like to add a dash of red pepper flakes and a sliced clove of garlic. It's the perfect lunch!

A few months ago I decided to try making my own tomato soup. I did a lot of research, tried a few recipes and finally settled on this version. It is easy to make and perfect on a cold night!


Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
1 1/2 pounds roma tomatoes
1 can (14 ounces) peeled tomatoes, whole
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cups fresh basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 quart chicken stock (I like the Pacific low-sodium kind)
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon and 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Toss roma tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread in one layer on baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes.

In a stockpot over medium heat, saute onions, garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, butter and red pepper flakes until onions begin to brown. Add canned tomatoes, basil, thyme and chicken stock. Add roasted tomatoes with liquid and bring to boil. Simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Use an emulsion blender to blend the remaining tomato chunks. Garnish with fresh basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment