Thursday, December 9, 2010

Dutch Babies

My sister-in-law, Cindy, made these last Christmas. I was instantly hooked and I had to know where she got the recipe. Turns out it came from The Joy of Cooking. I was excited because I already had the classic cookbook in my kitchen!

Dutch Babies are super easy to make and you can top them with whatever you like. I prefer strawberries and peanut butter but I have seen them topped with powdered sugar, blueberries, apples and many other options! Yum! I cut the amount of butter in half because honestly, it was way too buttery for my taste!

Serve immediately, for the pancake loses its puff, and therefore its drama, very quickly.












Dutch Babies
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl whisk together the milk, flour, sugar and eggs until smooth.

In a cast iron skillet (or any oven-proof skillet but cast iron is ideal) over medium heat, melt the butter, coating the sides of the skillet. Pour the eggs mixture into the skillet and cook for 1 minute without stirring. Place the skillet into the oven and baked until golden brown, about 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment