Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Luby's Macaroni and Cheese

Oh, how I love Luby's. I spent many a Sunday afternoon ordering the following:

Lu Ann Platter
Fried Chicken
DOUBLE Macaroni and Cheese
Red Jell-O
Cloverleaf Roll
Lemonade

Now, I know that is not a necessarily a healthy meal but it was THE meal of my childhood and sometimes a girl needs a little reminder of the state from which she hails.

I tried this recipe last week but it just didn't turn out they way it should. I gave it another try and it was right on! I think that the first time the water wasn't hot enough. This time after I removed the macaroni, I put the pot back on the burner and brought the water to a boil, again. I placed my mixing bowl right next to the stove and slowly added the boiling water, while whisking in the cheese. It was much creamier this time. I also like to put the dish under the broiler for a minute or two, just to give it that crusty, brown top.

Now I don't have to worry about convincing Luby's management to expand into Colorado...

Luby's Macaroni and Cheese
2 cups dry elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons dry nonfat milk powder
2 tablespoonsall-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 1/2 cups boiling water
3 cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded (not pre-shredded)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook macaroni to package instructions. Remove from pot, keeping pasta water. Return the pot to high heat and boil.

In a large bowl, mix the milk powder, flour and melted butter. Gradually add the boiling water, whisking constantly. Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and keep whisking. Beat until smooth and creamy. Stir in macaroni, 1 cup of the cheese and salt. Transfer to greased baking dish. Top with remaining cheese, cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.

Optional: place baking dish under high broiler until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment