Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Filet of Beef and Corn Casserole

After Thanksgiving I decided that turkey, while very tasty, was not what I wanted to prepare for Christmas dinner. Peter wanted duck but I wasn't convinced so I settled on a filet of beef. I had to do some research because I wanted to make sure I didn't screw it up! I found this recipe on the Food Network site. It was a HUGE hit! I also made the gorgonzola sauce. Peter loved it but I wasn't very impressed. I may try another sauce next time.
I discovered this yummy casserole a few years ago on The Food Network. It was right around Thanksgiving so I took this side dish over to our family celebration in Alvin. Everyone said they loved it and I really hope they weren't lying to me!

I don't make this often, it's better suited for caloric blowout holidays, but it sure is tasty! You can skip the cheddar cheese if you're watching your figure.

Filet of Beef
1 whole filet of beef (4 to 5 pounds), trimmed and tied
2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.

Place the beef on a baking sheet and pat the outside dry with a paper towel. Spread the butter on with your hands. Sprinkle evenly with the salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for exactly 22 minutes for rare and 25 minutes for medium-rare.

Remove the beef from the oven, cover it tightly with aluminum foil, and allow it to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Remove the strings and slice the filet thickly.

Corn Casserole
1 box corn muffin mix
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 package frozen broccoli
2 cloves garlic, chopped
8 ounces cottage cheese
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
1/2 cup milk
1 stick unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the corn muffin mix, milk, garlic and cottage cheese.

In a large oven safe skillet, melt the butter ovr medium heat. Saute the onions and broccoli until tender. Pour the corn muffin mixture over the veggies, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Slice, serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment