Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hamburger Buns

Ground beef was on super sale this week so I thought this was the perfect time to try making my own hamburger buns! They seemed easy enough to make and I hate buying those packaged ones from the grocery store. I searched high and low for an easy recipe but couldn't find one that matched what I had in mind. So, I borrowed from a few and created my own! Most of the recipes I found were for something between 8 to 12 buns so I drastically cut the ingredients. Peter and I don't need a ton of hamburger buns in the freezer! We ate 2 and I froze 2 so I guess we'll have hamburgers again sometime soon.

I STILL do not own a Kitchenaid stand mixer so I did this all by hand. Maybe one day I won't have to...


Hamburger Buns
yields 4 buns

1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 packet yeast
1/8 cup warm milk (between 105-115 degrees)
1/2 cup warm milk (between 105-115 degrees)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour (I really only ended up using about 2 1/4 cups)
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water (egg wash)

In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in the warm water. Sprinkle the yeast on top of the mixture and let sit for approximately 10 minutes. Once foamy, add the oil, salt, milk and one cup of the flour. Beat vigorously for 2 minutes. Add the remaining flour a 1/4 cup at a time until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. The dough will be very relaxed so add just enough flour to keep it from being sticky. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for approximately 7 minutes. Transfer the dough ball to an oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise for 1 hour.

After the dough has doubled in size, transfer it to a lightly oiled work surface. Oil your hands and roll the dough into a log like shape, about 16 inches long. Cut into 8 equal portions, about 2 inches each. Roll each section into a ball and then flatten into a disc, about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Place the discs on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Space them about 1/2 inch apart so that they will touch after rising. Let sit for about forty five minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Before placing in the oven, brush the top of each bun with egg wash. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and place on wire cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment