Thursday, June 9, 2011

Blueberry Lemon Muffins

Every few weeks I make a batch of breakfast muffins and freeze them so I have something quick to eat in the morning. I also like to have something on hand for easy snacks when I don't feel like eating yet another banana. I have been loving my strawberry cream cheese muffins but I wanted to try something new. I found this recipe and decided I had to try them because I LOVE blueberries and lemons!


I found that the muffins only needed to bake for about 16 minutes before they were ready. I am not sure if that is because of my crazy hot oven or the altitude. Just keep an eye on yours while baking :)

The recipe indicates that it yields 12 muffins but I was able to make 24.


Blueberry Lemon Muffins
3 cups + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
10 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed and softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1 1/2 cup plain full-fat yogurt12 oz blueberries (thawed if frozen)
Demera sugar (optional)

Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix 3 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt in medium bowl; set aside.
Cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add lemon zest.

Beat in one-half of dry ingredients. Beat in one-third of yogurt. Beat in remaining dry ingredients in two batches, alternating with the yogurt, until incorporated. Toss blueberries in remaining 1 Tbsp flour and fold in to the batter.

Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray or line with paper liners. Divide the batter evenly among cups. Sprinkle top lightly with Demera sugar, if using. Bake until muffins are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes, until a skewer comes out with moist crumbs. Set on wire rack to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment