Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Avocado Quesadillas

If P doesn't talk during dinner then I know the food must be good. He never utters a word when I serve these.  He enjoys them that much.

My husband loves avocados and I do not. I made the mistake of preparing these just the one time and the boy was hooked. Now I am stuck making this super yummy dish that he LOVES and I tolerate. I do like quesadillas in general (cheese, yes!) so I don't include the avocado mixture on mine.

My original idea did not call for chicken but after P was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, I had to add the chicken in order to fulfill his protein requirement.


Avocado Quesadillas
1 firm, ripe large avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
1 medium tomato, diced, seeds removed
1 medium red onion, diced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup shredded cheddar and monterey jack cheese
4 whole wheat tortillas, taco size
2 medium skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup salt free fajita seasoning
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup olive oil

In a medium bowl mix the avocado, tomato, red onion and lime juice. Set aside.
Drizzle one side of each tortilla with vegetable oil. Place on a baking sheet and then under the broiler until golden brown. Remove, turn over, sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese evenly on each tortilla and place back under the broiler. Remove when the cheese has completely melted. Set aside.


                                                  









In a small bowl coat the chicken with the fajita seasoning. You can do this hours in advance if desired but it's not necessary.

Coat a non-stick skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Place the chicken in the skillet, turning once until completely cooked. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let sit for about five minutes. Then use a fork to shred the chicken.

Assemble the quesadillas- one tortilla cheese side up, two generous scoopfuls of the avocado mixture, a handful of shredded chicken and another tortilla cheese side down.

No comments:

Post a Comment