Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pao de Queijo

So you know how the powers that be at Fogo de Chao hope you fill up on the salad bar before the parade of meat begins? Yeah, I don't even go to the salad bar. I just wait for the waiter to bring the basket full of cheese bread. Then I fill up on that and don't end up eating much meat at all. That is some expensive bread I've been eating. I needed to find an alternative.

I have been dying to make these for weeks. My friend Susan sent me a recipe that I tried and the results were less than stellar. I was convinced I hadn't read the instructions carefully, so I tried again. The results were no better. I was bummed but after some internet research I realized I was using the wrong kind of tapioca flour. I went back to Whole Foods and could not find the correct type of flour so I ordered online. Five days later I was back in business!

I used this recipe but skipped the blender and the toppings. I cannot adequately describe how amazingly these turned out. I want to eat them all the time.


Pao de Queijo
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 tsp salt


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Add all ingredients into a medium mixing bowl. Blend very well, making sure no bits of tapioca starch are left unmixed.

The mixture will be a little thinner than pancake batter. Pour the batter in mini-muffin tins, to no more than 3/4 of their capacity, and cook for 20 minutes. Most will come out right away without sticking. If some stick slightly, allow them to cool for a few minutes and probe them out gently with the tip of a knife. The recipe makes 20-24 little cheese breads.

No comments:

Post a Comment