Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chili

I first made this chili recipe on Christmas Eve but I forgot to photograph the results. Oh well, I guess I would have to just make it again! It was zero degrees here in Denver last night so eating homemade chili sounded like a perfect idea. I also got to use the powerful chili powder that came in a set of Penzey's Spices. Thank you, Susan!

I browsed many recipes online and settled on this one. I did leave out the oregano but that is the only change I made. Peter LOVED it and I have a feeling he will be fighting me over the leftovers! I whipped up a quick batch of corn muffins to accompany the chili. This was a wonderful cold weather meal and now I wish I had made more. It's four degrees here today!

Chili
1 pound ground beef or turkey
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder*
1/2 teaspoon cumin*
1 teaspoon hot sauce (I used this one)*
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup red wine vinegar

* Start with these amounts and then taste after simmering.

Crumble the ground turkey into a stock pot or large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook stirring frequently until turkey is evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.

Season with chili powder, cumin and hot sauce. Stir in the tomatoes and vinegar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 1 hour – or longer if you have time. Stir occasionally to prevent burning on the bottom.

1 comment:

  1. It's chili weather here too so I might make this tomorrow night. Glad you are enjoying the spices!

    ReplyDelete